Multi-Sensory and Multi-Modal
Sophia Academy began as a pilot program at International Christian High School in the fall of 2016, serving 9th and 10th grade students with dyslexia, dyscalculia, and other language-based learning differences. Our students gain the advantage of participating in a larger school program and extracurricular activities while reaping the benefits of small classes, multi-sensory curricula, evidence-based instruction, and integration with the visual and performing arts.
Learning at Sophia Academy is active:
- Through the use of manipulatives such as tiles, blocks, and overlays, students are able to improve reading and math skills by multiple grade levels.
- Discovery, experimentation, and creativity are emphasized.
- Students practice executive function skills through alphabetic, oral, visual, and kinesthetic modes.
- Our curriculum meets all state standards while providing real and obvious success to students who may have struggled through many years of school.
- Small class sizes ensure appropriate intervention and attention for each student.
- Music, art, and instruction in artisan crafts enable students to access both sides of their brain and operate in areas of strength each week.
Read parent testimonials